Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Book Review - Gossamer by Lois Lowry

41p7epwy7HL__SL110_


Gossamer


by Lois Lowry


Rating - ***** (5 stars)


I really cannot believe it took me over thirty years to discover the writings of Lois Lowry. I have no idea why I did not happen upon them during all my time in the library as an adolescent. It was my son talking about reading The Giver in his middle school that finally brought her writing to my attention. Since then I have been playing catch up. I have yet to read a book by Lois Lowry that I would not recommend. However, all of her books are so very different.

Gossamer is almost like a fairy tale. It falls in lines with fairies that dance in gardens. Except it is little wispy creatures that protect dreams. The book is truly magical, it is also very sweet. From the perspective of the little dream protector we witness an older women taking in a foster child. Even more magical is we see all of the characters start to heal with the help of these magical creatures.

While the topic of the book itself could be very traumatic, it is presented in a manner that is age appropriate for older elementary school students. This book is not exactly a must read, but I would add it to your list anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment