Monday, July 28, 2014

Book Review - Gathering Blue

Gathering Blue


by Lois Lowry




Rating ***** (5 stars)

 



Gathering Blue is the second book in The Giver's series. This book does not have to be read after The Giver. It also works very well as a stand alone novel. It, so far, has absolutely no connection to the first novel in the series. So, while The Giver's rating has not been adjusted I have no problem with how Lowry moved the plot along in this book.


I do not give five star ratings very often. I would have to go back and search to see if I ever have before on this blog. Yet this book is worthy of the rating. The writing is amazing. The characters are vibrant and alive. The plot is engaging, and captivating, and while slightly predictable it is not completely so. Gathering Blueis a young adult novel. As such the vocabulary is not extremely complicated. The characters are young. I read it over the course of two days - less then a 24 hour period. None of that takes away from the breathtaking beauty of the novel.


To my understanding Lois Lowry has already gone down as one of the great authors. After reading two of her books I completely understand why. I have every plan to finish reading all of her works.


As a side note, I slightly peaked at reviews to see if I would ever find an explanation for the way that The Giver progressed. It looks like the world begin to collide in the third novel. I cannot wait to start reading it.


Series






                      

No comments:

Post a Comment