Monday, August 4, 2014

Book Review - Number the Stars

Number the Stars


by Lois Lowry


numberthestars


Rating ***** (5 stars)





I have only recently been exposed to the beautiful writing of Lois Lowry. I am appalled that I was not introduced to her works in any of my coursework, and I am sadden that I did not run across her novels in all my time spent in various libraries in my youth. I am convinced I would have loved her writing even more then I love it as an adult.

There is no doubt that Lowry is writing for younger children. The main character in Number the Stars is only ten years old - she would be in upper elementary school. It is amazing that Lowry can write a novel geared towards this young of a reader, in words that are appropriate for the reading level, and still write such a breathtaking novel.

Number the Stars is a novel about the relocation of Jews during the German occupation of Denmark. The story plot is a difficult time in history, yet the bravery of the many Danish citizens, both old and young, is beautifully portrayed in the novel. The novel teaches bravery, and standing up for what it is right. Children who have known loss will relate to many themes in the novel, yet it is not a novel of despair. It is a novel of bravery and hope. It is written in such a way as to appropriately capture young readers and still appeal to adults.

There is no wonder why Lois Lowry has won many awards for her novels. Her writing is beautiful, and her characters provoke deep passion. When you pick up one of her novels you leave the book behind and enter into an entirely new world. If you have not yet read any of her novels, this one is a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment