Sunday, March 2, 2014

Book Review - The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

by Kim Harrison




Rating ****1/2 (4 1/2 stars)

With a title like that you are almost guaranteed to have a paranormal book, or a horror book. Since I do not do horror (at all) you can rest assured that this is a paranormal book, urban fantasy to be specific. This is the second book in the Hallows series. If you have not read the first book then please read HERE first - since I may accidentally give spoilers of the first novel.

When this novel begins Rachael, or sassy tough as nails witch, is living in the church with Ivy, here against the norm vampire friend. Things are a bit rough, as in Rachael can not seem to get enough money to pay rent. I do not know, being the only person to survive a death threat by the IS seems like a good reason to hire her to me.

In this book the characters become more developed. Story lines that were started in the first novel had significance in this novel. I think this is a must of a talented series writer. There were a bit too many things that just magically appeared in this novel. However, I do not think that was lack of forethought by the author, more that there was just not enough space to include everything - especially in a first novel.

The writing is brilliant, the plot is integrate and does not just lead up to one ending and washes it's hand. There are several climatic points that lead up to one slightly more climatic point, that really just leads into the third book. This is annoying when you have to wait for the next book. This is amazing when the book has already been published. Thankfully for you, it has already been published - as well as many more in the series. So read a way. I would recommend having the third book on hand when you finish the second so you can jump right in. I did make myself wait to move on to the next book until I have written this review - so as soon as I am finished I get to start the next novel. Since this is at least my fifth time rereading the series, I also own the next book which is a bonus.

If you read the first book and enjoyed it, you will not be disappointed in the second book. At least as far as I have read, the series has yet to get stale at all. Since this is a series that depends heavily upon previous books I would suggest starting at the first novel. Do start, this series is epic (yes, I did just use that word). If that is not incentive enough, you get to find out what Trent is in this novel - did you guess correctly?

The Hallows Series






No comments:

Post a Comment