Monday, March 3, 2014

Book Review - The Deep and Snowy Woods


The Deep and Snowy Woods

by Elwyn Tate



Rating **** (4 stars)

When I was looking at the books I have downloaded over the years this one caught my eye. The cover is adorable, and holds the promise of more beauty to come. When I opened it I asked if L wanted me to read it to her. Her response "Oh, I know this book. I have read it lots of times." She then proceeded to read the book to me - twice - and then type out the following review.

3 animals know but the rest did not know that it is Christmas day. It was interesting because I like running, hoping, and digging. 3 stars because I did not like how it ended. They just made me hanging.

- L age 9

I did some minor editing while she was typing, in truth she really used spell check, and I did ask what she likes, explained how I give a rating, and asked why it was three stars. I think she had a valid reason.  The artwork is beautiful. The words are beautiful because they are incorporated into the artwork, and because they sound beautiful when read aloud. I do agree about the ending. I was a bit surprised when Santa Clause showed up and we were magically in the North Pole, and I also agree that is a bit anticlimactic in the end. 

However, I do believe it earns one more star then L gave it. She smiled the entire time she read it. She nearly ripped the iPad out of my hands to read it to me, then begged to be allowed to read it again. That is why I upped her rating one star. I mean, for my child who adamantly proclaims that she hates to read, that is kind of a miracle. 




No comments:

Post a Comment