Thursday, March 13, 2014

Book Review - The Bee Who Was Different

The Bee Who Was Different

by Kurt Zimmerman


 
Rating *** (3 stars)

This is a picture book about a bee who is in a wheelchair, which is even more striking since all the other bees are the same. The book is not about helping educate children about differences in others. Rather it is about overcoming your own difficulties to be a hero.

I like that the main character has a physical disability, that is not common enough in picture books. The message is good, but not great. The pictures are cute, but not anything above and beyond. I wish the book could have expanded slightly to help children without a physical disability understand a bit better, and I think that May have been a goal, however I do not feel it was reached. 

Overall the writing and pictures are average. I do think it could be a useful story for a young child with a physical disability who is feeling left out.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment