Sunday, February 2, 2014

Book Review - Life of Pi

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

 

Rating ****(4 stars)

It is not often that you stop reading a book but my mind can not seem to let go. At first when I finished this novel I was unsettled. I followed the narration with such blind faith that I never once thought to question it. Then doubt was flung in my face.

Upon finishing the novel I stopped and thought. The very act of causing the reader to question is a further reference to religion, which is in truth the main theme of this novel. Do you give your faith to God or do you follow a secular train of thought? 

The reader is left with either option.

In truth neither option particularly matters for this novel. It is a work of fiction. Although some people say the same about the Bible. Yes, in some regard I am comparing the two books. It begs for a comparison. Both books are about moving beyond the facts presented to you and learning to have faith. 

In a way I am surprised at how this novel has effected me. When I started reading it was more out of obligation. I bought the book when it was on sale. I still had not yet read it. I should read it. Then I read and became captivated by the simple narration. After a time I was forced to move pass to words to my mind and my heart. This to is another analogy to reading the bible. 

Life of Piis the story of a boy who services over 220 days on the Pacific Ocean with a tiger. Life of Piis a story about finding and keeping God.

No comments:

Post a Comment