Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book Review - Huff and Puff (My First I Can Read)

Huff and Puff (My First I Can Read)

by Tish Rabe

pictures by Gill Guile

 
Rating *** (3 stars)
 
 
This book is a beautifully illustrated early reader about two train engines - Huff and Puff. Huff want to switch places with Puff. They do, it does not work out, they both go back to there original place.
 
I am not very thrilled about the plot. If you can derive any lesson from this book it is about giving up and accepting your place in life. But I suppose that is a bit too deep for a preschooler.
 
My favorite part of this book is the pictures. To be fully appreciated they would need to be viewed on an iPad or Kindle Fire. They are a vibrant color with what appears to be colored pencil.
 
The writing is acceptable. The words may be a bit too hard for beginning readers - but the page length is reasonable. There is never more then four short lines of text per page, and most have less.
 
This book is worth getting for the pictures alone. Especially if your child likes trains or animals. It would be a good book for locating objects on a page (or tacting).
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment