Saturday, February 8, 2014

Book Review - 5 Sight Word Books for Beginning Readers Volume 1

5 Sight Word Books for Beginning Readers Volume 1

by Cindy Bracken



Rating ***** (5 stars)

I do love Cindy Bracken's early reader books. This collection is no exception. L and S will still read through these books - even though they are well beyond their reading level. 

This collection contains the books

I Can
Is it Blue?
One, Two, Three
It Is My Birthday
Kitten's Walk

I can is an easy book with three word sentences all starting with I can. Is it Blue? Has multiple sentences in large fonts. The book ask a question in relation to a color and then answers it on the same page. It is also repetitive and a great first read. One, Two, Three is a counting book. Unlike other counting books it does not count a new number with every page. Instead the book only counts to three and each number is used for three pages in a row. This should help the beginning reader recognize it easier. It Is My Birthday is a bit harder book. There is still only one sentence per page, however the words to not repeat across pages. However, there are beautiful pictures to help use in word identification. The last book, Kitten's Walk, tells the story of a Kitten meeting friends. It is not as easy a read as I Can but there is repetition in the words that will help out a beginning reader. 

These books are not hard. That is one of the reasons I enjoyed them so much. L had such a hard time learning to read - it is the only thing she has really ever had to work at. It was nice having books that did not overwhelm her. She read this collection more times then I can count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment