Thursday, January 9, 2014

Book Review - So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

So, Long, and Thanks for all the Fish

by. Douglas Adams


 
Rating *** (3 stars)
 
 
Do you remember when I warned you when you should stop reading this series. I am warning you, now would be a good time to stop. The first three books made a great trilogy. But I guess Adams needed to write more. So he screwed up the whole series in one book. OK, I will admit I did enjoy this book a bit. If you liked the other three books then you may just want to pick up this one as well.
 
If you can get past the fact that the Earth never got destroyed. Arthur made his way back and behold there it was. Then Ford realized that Earth had a long and luxurious listing in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (um, he never had professed to writing this before), so he headed back as well.
 
A word of caution. Where all the other books were pretty harmless. They did not contain sex or swearing, or anything that I would not mind handing to my thirteen year old son. This book does. Arthur gets a girlfriend - you remember the girl who got the brilliant insight into how to fix the world - yep that is her. I admit the book could be more graphic - but the visual of them together while flying over England will not leave my mind.
 
I really held out hope until the end of the book that Adams would explain away the Earth's existence in a logical illogical manner. All he had to do was say that they remade it and somehow repopulated it. I could have dealt with that. But no, it had to be some truly unexplained thing to do with alternate dimensions.

I gave it three stars because the writing is classic Douglas Adams. It lost some stars because I do not like the big gapping hole in his plot and I was not much for the added sex in the fourth book of a series.
 
Do not worry, the next book is even worse!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment