Saturday, January 25, 2014

Book Review - The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden

By Frances Hadgson Burnett



Rating **** (4 stars)

This is another finished book in my quest to devour the BBC 100 Big Reads List. I last remember reading  The Secret Garden when I was in elementary school. I remember finding the story delightful, even though I much preferred science fiction at the time. As I read I was fascinated to remember bits of the story before I read to the part. I was amazed how easily the story came back to me.

The Secret Garden is a simple children's story. It has a beginning with an awful event and ends with a spectacular happy ending. In the middle there is a lot of growing up going on in between. It is simple and sweet. Although nearly every character is ornery, they are all at their core good people.

There is one aspect worth noting. This is an older novel, and the language is not politically correct when it comes to diversity, both about race and physical disability.

That being said, I can not wait for S to read (listen) to this book. I think she will enjoy it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment