Saturday, January 18, 2014

Book Review - A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

by Charles Dickens


 

Rating *****(5 stars)

I adore Charles Dickens. His writing is beautiful, and his characters are enchanting. Even if I do not prefer the plot I am always still engaged simply by his writing. When I first picked up A Tale of Two Cities I had no idea that it was about the French revolution. However, even if I had it would not have made much of an impact on my first impression. By the end of the first chapter I was bored. I trudged my way through the second chapter. I felt for sure that this was one of his overhyped novels that I would abhor. I continued, but only after putting the book down several times first.

By the end of the first book I was hooked, although I admit, I was thoroughly confused as to the connectedness of the main characters. By the end of the first book I was completely engrossed in the novel and could not wait to finish. By the end of the novel I was invested heart mind and soul in the plight of the main characters. Wow, what an ending it was.

A Tale of Two Cities is hands down amazing. It is amazing how characters that I adored at the beginning of the book I became completely disgusted with, and characters I did not enjoy at first caused me to laugh out loud. The most impactful part of the book for me was the description of the French Revolution. Dickens described it in such depth that I felt like I was walking on the streets in fear for my own life. The oppression prior to the revolution was sever, but the goriness after the revolution was discussing.

There is so much more that I could write about this book. However, it would go from being a review to being an English essay instead. It would also give away all of the plot, most especially the ending. That is something that I attempt not to do.

What I will say is that if you have never ventured to read A Tale of Two Cities I would emphatically suggest that you do so.




No comments:

Post a Comment