Thursday, December 26, 2013

Book Review - Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

Sisterhood Everlasting

by Ann Brashares





Rating - *****(5 stars)

It has been many years since I have read Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and I am not even certain that I finished that trilogy. However, when I received Sisterhood Everlasting  for Christmas I picked the novel up and finished it the same day.


Sisterhood Everlasting reunites us with the Septembers ten years after the end of the trilogy. They are all approaching their 30th birthday and are in a state of hold since Tibby headed to Australia two years earlier and still has not returned.

The novel presumes that you are familiar with the main characters, the four Septembers who have been friends since birth as well as the main love interests that were mentioned in the original trilogy. However, I was able to pick up on the relationships and piece together what I think I missed or had forgotten.

This novel is a coming of age novel welcoming women into the role of adulthood, motherhood, and wife hood (is that even a word?). Despite all the challenges these young women have experienced they continue to find joy in life and each other. This novel is about joy, even in the face of tragedy. I will admit it had me crying in several places (this is not an easy feat) and I stayed up until two in the morning to finish off the story.

If you in any way love chick literature, well written fiction, or remember the traveling pants then I would highly recommend that you check out this novel! I am not big on giving a book five stars, but the writing is wonderful, the characters are beautifully human, and the plot flows well even if it is a bit predictable.


No comments:

Post a Comment